1, 2, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 2 7/8...

Unfortunately we have to discipline our children. I say "unfortunately" because I hate doing it, but, I must!

We have different forms of discipline, we use what works. We definitely believe in "training a child in the way he should go..." Sometimes it is not easy nor fun.

We are teaching our 4 year old many things, and helping her in continual practice of different disciplines.
We are helping our 9 1/2 month old to be disciplined in her schedule, and putting herself to sleep. Both of these wonderful beautiful girls have my heart and that is why I want and why we do discipline and teach discipline. The only problem is that since they have my heart it is hard at times, if you are a parent you probably understand. However, I love them so much that I want them to be well behaved and well disciplined. Why? If they are their lives will be so much more fulfilling and rewarding, things could even be easier for them. And so many more reasons.

It absolutely crushes my heart to discipline our 4 year old, often times this cause crying and her being very upset and me momentarily wanting to just hold her close and say that whatever she did was OK and that I would not discipline any more. When our 9 1/2 month old cries and cries in her crib fighting sleep I want so badly to go and sweep her into my arms and hold her close I want to rock her gently, what good would this do though?

I have to discipline. Over time our 4 year olds behavior has grown, she has learned a lot and has quite good manors. Our 9 1/2 month old is almost to the point where she is putting herself to sleep and the list could go on.

Disciplining is hard but if we don't do it now, our children will have to suffer more later in life. I certainly don't want that.

Being a father has helped me to understand God's love for us. To God I am like my kids are sometimes, I can only imagine how I can break His heart sometimes because I sin and He has to discipline me. I am thankful though, because of His very real discipline in my life, I am improving.

Now I understand a little better just how much God loves me. He loves me so much that He will help me now even if it hurts a little bit, so I will do great later.

Last night my 4 year old received discipline and was crying, meanwhile my 9 1/2 month old had seen and heard her crying, she went from her normal cheery self to a complete broken heart and crying. Wow.

Challenge:
1. We need to get in touch and obedient with God to the point where we accept His discipline and strive to please Him so we are obedient.
2. We need to get in touch with our world, like my baby daughter, our hearts need to break when we see sin and discipline. We need to be advocates for God to help people before they get to the sin and discipline point.

Discipline is a great tool to help us grow. But, if we can simply obey and not get to the point of discipline, why not?

0 comments: