Simply Follow

My 9 month old baby girl has learned to stand up on her own! The only problem is that she is also standing on her own in her crib. What does that mean? Daddy got to lower the mattress part of the crib today. You are probably thinking, "so what" "no big deal." If you are, call me, and next time you can do it!
Cribs are insane! There are so many different screws, places for screws and different ways to do things. It is convenient because it goes from a high crib to a low crib, to a toddler bed to a...a new car! Well the last part is a joke, but it does do a lot.
I started the project thinking that I would be manly and use my drill, good thought, several problems. 1. Didn't have the right size drill bit. 2. Battery was dead. And 3. Drill was too big anyway and would scratch the bed. In spite of the set backs, after 3 trips to the garage I got almost every tool I own trying to make the drill work. I took a couple extra pieces off that didn't need to come off, THEN, I gave up on the drill. I found a simple screw driver in my bag of tools and put everything back together and finally with ease did the work I needed to and got the job accomplished. All the while Lily is playing on the floor and having a good time watching Daddy be so brilliant.

What is the main point here? I am glad you asked. As I was doing this wonderful project I realized that if I would have only just grabbed the simple screw driver in the first place I would have saved myself a LOT of work, trips to the garage and frustration. Why didn't I? I wanted to use a "man tool," I thought the battery operated drill would be faster and on and on. I was wrong. I should have simply done the simple thing and grabbed the simple screw driver.

Isn't this how us Christians are a lot of times, God gives us task or projects and we over think them, we go for the biggest baddest way to do it? Some of us even over complicate simply following Christ, we think we have to wear all the right "Christian" t-shirts and caps, we have to have the right cross necklace, we have to use all the right religious language, we have to go through some ritualistic process for repentance and on and on. What we sometimes may forget or neglect is the simplicity of following Christ.
God made it so easy for us, He gave us the instruction manual (the Bible), He gave us a communication device that allows us to communicate directly with Him (the Holy Spirit).

God has challenged me to forget all the "manly tools" and all the great ways of doing Christianity and simply follow Him. (emphasis added).

0 comments: