Neighborhood Watch

Over the past couple of weeks God has challenged me to take my street for Him. A sad things is that I do local missions and am constantly in the community doing ministry, but the problem was that I had not been doing it on my own. I had plenty of excuses and quite frankly hadn't even really thought about it.

I didn't even know where to start, so, we (my whole family) started next door. As of now, we have met several of our neighbors and started the process of building relationships. This is such a great opportunity, as I have told some of our neighbors; we don't normally meet our neighbors until moving day. Isn't that sad? We can live somewhere for 12-18 months and never meet our neighbors, then when we are packing the trailers we begin to meet them.

How does this translate to local missions? Glad you asked. We are meeting and building relationships with everyone on our street. We are starting with friendships and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead. I am praying that we will see at least one person meet Jesus out of these 30 residences.

Is it hard? You bet, we have set a discipline of getting up right after dinner and immediately going to someones house. Then the next hard part is knocking on the door. What do we say? Then the next hard part is intentionally trying to build a relationship with someone we don't know from Adam.

God is blessing though, with the neighbors we have met so far they have been very receptive, warm and welcoming, and we have already began true friendships. We had a family over for dinner last night and we all connected really well. I can already see how God is going to use my wife in this particular friendship.

Are we going door to door asking people where they will go when they die and then presenting the Romans road? No, God hasn't led us to do that yet. But, we are ready when He does.

Do you know your neighbors?

0 comments: